How to use Ketchup instead of Tomato Sauce
When you’re wondering what your tomato sauce substitute could be, you can read about the recipe alternatives that will work best while using ketchup!
Since ketchup is made from tomatoes, it can be used as a tomato sauce substitute easily in a variety of dishes—just use your judgment and be sure to taste as you go and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Ketchup is best utilized as a substitute in recipes that already have some sweetness. In most cases, start with a ½:1 swap and add more American Garden’s ketchup as needed to adjust the flavor.
Do you crave pizza but don’t have any pizza sauce? Don’t worry, you can get great results using American Garden’s ketchup.
Here’s how it’s done:
1. Get a small bowl to mix everything in.
2. Start with 1-2 tablespoons of American Garden’s ketchup.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
4. Add a big pinch of dried oregano but crush it between your fingers to release the flavor before throwing it in.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of fresh black pepper.
6. Add a pinch of dried basil and a pinch of red pepper flake (both optional).
7. Mix well and serve on pizza.
You can even make a quick tomato soup using ketchup.
1. Add 8 teaspoons of American Garden’s ketchup to a bowl.
2. Add ½ a cup of hot water.
3. Add small saltine crackers. (optional)
4. Mix well and enjoy your tomato soup. (add a bit more water if you feel that the flavor is too strong).
Did you know that ketchup makes an excellent pasta sauce?
Below are the steps:
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, season with salt, and cook 1/2 cup spaghetti per package directions.
3. When the pasta is done, drain, and set away the spaghetti for later.
4. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in an empty pot and add 1/2 onion (thinly sliced) and 1/2 red bell pepper (thinly sliced) for 2 to 3 minutes, until just starting to caramelize.
5. Stir in another tablespoon of butter, followed by two tablespoons of American Garden’s ketchup and a pinch of sugar. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the ketchup has thickened slightly. Add spaghetti and also add 1 tablespoon of milk. Toss in the sauce and cook the pasta for about a minute.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then whisk in 1/4 cup Parmesan and 1/4 cup parsley.
You could also use ketchup to prepare a delicious fried chicken dish.
1. Toss 500 grams of boneless chicken (small chunks) in ½ a cup of flour to coat it lightly.
2. In a big skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil over high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. When the chicken browns on one side, flip it and fry until done: smaller pieces will take around 5 minutes overall, larger chunks about 10. Transfer to a plate.
4. Turn the heat to medium-high and add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil, 2 teaspoons garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Stir in 1 cup of American Garden’s ketchup and cook until it bubbles and darkens slightly.
5. Return the chicken to the pan and coat it with the sauce. Season to taste, and then serve.